Posted by Richard Willett - Memes and headline comments by David Icke Posted on 29 May 2024

Revealed: 85% of MailOnline readers believe Royal Family members should have to carry out National Service

Some 85 per cent of MailOnline readers believe Royal Family members should have to carry out National Service after Rishi Sunak revealed plans to revive the scheme.

Prince George, Prince Louis, and Princess Charlotte could be forced to undertake the scheme when they turn 18 amid claims that the royals will not be exempt.

The plan would make it compulsory for the vast majority of 18-year-olds including the royals to either sign up for a 12-month placement with the armed forces or cyber defence, or commit to volunteering for one weekend a month in their community.

George, 10, would be the first young royal to be involved when he turns 18 in July 2031, followed a year later by Charlotte, nine, and three years later by Louis, six.

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie also have young children who would be eligible to take part once they reach the age of 18, as well as Prince Edward‘s son James, 16.

Now, MailOnline has carried out a survey asking readers: ‘Should the Royal Family be made to do National Service?’ More than 10,000 votes had been cast in the poll by 3pm this afternoon, with 85 per cent in favour and 15 per cent against the idea.

It comes after Foreign Office minister Anne-Marie Trevelyan suggested that George, Charlotte and Louis would be expected to do National Service alongside regular teenagers when they turn 18.

The Conservative MP said ‘the vast majority of our young people’ would be expected to turn out for the mandatory programme under Mr Sunak’s election proposal.

Writing for MailOnline, Ms Trevelyan said that those volunteering for the military would not be sent to fight, and that the scheme would teach practical and soft skills ‘which cannot be taught in the classroom or the lecture theatre’.

But critics from across the political divide have dismissed the plans as unserious while leading military figures expressed scepticism about how they would work and suggested the money would be better spent on Armed Forces investment.

Asked about whether young royals would be made to take part, or teenagers with caring responsibilities, Ms Trevelyan also told Sky News it would be down to a Royal Commission to decide the scope.

But she added: ‘Fundamentally the Prime Minister has been clear this would be for the vast majority of our young people, our 18-year-olds, this would be a mandatory part of both their continued education and journey to adulthood.’

Mr Sunak made the first major policy announcement of the general election campaign on Sunday, vowing to bring back National Service for 18-year-olds – a scheme that has not been seen in the UK since 1960.

The Prime Minister received backlash after launching the proposal but said he wanted the change to instil a ‘shared sense of purpose’ in today’s youth.

Read More: Revealed: 85% of MailOnline readers believe Royal Family members should have to carry out National Service

The Dream

From our advertisers