This is the moment a £190,000 McLaren plug-in hybrid sports car burst into flames during a test drive.
The McLaren Artura – the supercar manufacturer’s first electrified car – was engulfed while being taken out for a spin just a mile from the motor dealership.
Images show the scorched wreckage of the plug-in hybrid, which was recalled in the US this year over a fire risk.
Fire crews attended Pontefract Road in Stourton, Leeds, just before 2.30pm yesterday.
It is understood that the 23-plate car was on a test run with a customer and a showroom worker when it suddenly caught alight. Both passengers escaped unharmed.
A spokesman from West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘We received a call from the driver regarding a hybrid McLaren which went up in flames during its demo drive in Leeds, on the roundabout near the M1 at junction 44.
‘We sent crews from Hunslet, which arrived on the scene at 2.35pm. We also sent a Hazardous Material Officer to dispose of the electrical battery. The fire was put out at 3.02pm with no report of injury.’