Israeli soldiers continue to battle Hamas fighters in the streets of south Israel and have launched retaliation strikes across Gaza, after Saturday’s attack by the Palestinian militant group left a reported 300 people dead – the deadliest attack in Israel in fifty years.
Overnight, Israel battered the Gaza Strip with air strikes as rockets from the blockaded Palestinian territory rained on Israel.
According to Israeli media at least 600 people have so far been killed in the conflict and more than have been 2,000 wounded.
The health ministry in Gaza said 370 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli strikes and 2,200 have been injured since fighting first broke out.
An Israeli military official said hundreds of militants had been killed and dozens captured.
In a televised address on Saturday night, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the military will use all of its strength to destroy Hamas’ capabilities.
“All the places that Hamas hides in, operates from, we will turn them into ruins,” he said. Mr Netanyahu vowed to turn Hamas strongholds in Gaza “to rubble” and warned of a “long and difficult” war.