Protecting your accounts from data loss or service downtime and enabling their restoration seems like a topmost priority in the age of digital work. Learn to protect your digital assets, securing them from human error or malicious attacks, with Google Workspace Data Export Tool.
How to prepare for the export of your organisation’s data with Google Workspace?
Whether you are preparing to migrate from a G Suite legacy plan or you just need to archive and download your company’s information, the Data Export tool can come in handy.
Before you begin your export, there are some steps you need to check ahead:
- Your Google Workspace or Cloud Identity account should be at least 30 days old.
- Have super administrator rights.
- As the admin who starts the export, you need to have the 2-Step Verification turned on for your own account.
- Have no more than 1.000 users in your organisation; otherwise you can request temporary access to the Data Export tool.
- Your last successful export of data was completed more than 30 days ago.
- You have no other export in progress since they can run only one at a time.
How to export your users’ data?
Once you have checked all the requirements for a data export, you are ready to learn how to use Google Workspace Data Export tool.
- Firstly, you need to sign into your Google Admin Console.
- In the right panel under Tools, select ”Data Export” and click ”Start export”.
- If the organisation had more than one super administrator, all the admins will be notified that a data export is pending.
- The export will now begin and only the admin who started the process will be notified by email when it is complete.
- In the email notification, the admin will get a link to access the archive.
- At the same time, all the admins can check the archived data under the Data Export tool.
- Lastly, you will have to verify your data export report to check for errors.
You can trust your organisation’s data export with a Google Cloud Partner like FOTC. Such a partner can help you export and migrate your data, assist with configuration while keeping you notified with every Google Workspace update that’s relevant to your business.
What kind of data can be exported from your Google Workspace accounts?
With the Data Export tool you can export the same data that is available for users via Google Takeout. Other than that, one can also export data that was previously only available for admins. Learn more about the type of data you can actually export:
- Calendar data, including customer-owned data like structured resource booking information
- Chat data, including messages and attachments from rooms initiated by users in your organisation
- Chrome data
- Cloud Search data
- Contacts data
- Currents data, including currents streams, users assigned as leaders and tags that were uploaded or demoted by admins
- Drive data, including data in shared drives
- Gmail data
- Groups data
- Keep data
- Reminders data
- Tasks data
- Vault retained data, available only for admins
- Voice data
How long does a Google Workspace data export take?
Now you know how to initiate an export and what kind of data can you include in one. But how long does it take to actually have an export ready?
As a Google Workspace administrator, you will have the export available no earlier than 48 hours after the start of the process. If you do somehow get revoked as super administrator, your export is automatically cancelled.
A typical data export will take between 72 hours and 14 days, depending on the size of the exported data. No matter the size of the export, you will be notified by email when the process is complete. Don’t forget to download your export from Cloud Storage in 30 days time or your data will be permanently deleted.
Would you like to know more about how to do a Google Workspace backup, archive or export? Contact FOTC, this Google Cloud partner that offers an extended free trial period, discounts, data migration from a private drive or a third-party provider, and full technical support.