Elon Musk announced on Friday that he will not be allowing defamed conspiracy theorist Alex Jones back on Twitter.
Billionaire Musk, who now owns the tech giant, made the comment after asking users what Twitter should do next. When one suggested bringing back Jones, Musk replied simply: ‘No.’
Jones, who famously denied the Sandy Hook mass shooting took place, said in a video he did not blame Musk for not allowing him back – and described himself as ‘the most controversial figure in the world’.
His comment came around a day before former president Donald Trump was reinstated to Twitter after Musk created a poll presenting the question to users.
Around 52 percent of those who responded – nearly 8 million people – said Trump should be allowed to return.
Kanye West, who was taken off the social media site for his antisemitic comments earlier this year, also returned to Twitter on Sunday.
Musk – who presented himself as a democratizer of internet speech when he took over Twitter – said in October a ‘content moderation council’ would be formed to decide who should be allowed to use the platform.
Read more: ‘Conspiracy theorist’ Alex Jones WON’T have his Twitter account reinstated, after Donald Trump and Kanye West had bans rescinded – (neither is mine being reinstated mainstream media, the name it seems you dare not speak. What are you so terrified of? Just asking)