Princes William and Harry will take part in a special vigil in honour of the Queen on Saturday, it has tonight been reported.
The Prince of Wales and the Duke of Sussex are set to join the Queen’s six other grandchildren in a special 15 minute vigil at Westminster Hall.
The eight grandchildren will reportedly stand in silence beside Her Majesty’s coffin, in a scene which will mirror the Vigil of the Princes.
The special vigil saw King Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, stand guard at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh earlier this week.
Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward will repeat the vigil at Westminster Hall on Friday night. It will now be followed by a separate event by the grandchildren on Saturday.
And in a further twist, the Duke of Sussex will be allowed to wear military uniform at the event, according to The Mirror, having up until now been prevented from donning military colours.
Prince Harry has reportedly been given special dispensation to don military colours at the vigil. However it is not clear what uniform he will wear, given that he no longer holds a position in the military.
The Duke of Sussex has so far be unable to wear military uniform during any of his public appearances following the Queen’s death.
That is because, when he stepped back as a front line royal in the wake of Megxit, he was stripped of his military patrognages.
Prince Harry, who served in the British army for a decade including two tours of Afghanistan, has so far worn a mourning suit with military medals to public events.
However Prince Andrew, who also stepped back frontline royal duties in the wake of the Jeffrey Epstein sex scandal, is set to be given special dispensation to wear his colours on Friday night.
The exception was made for the Duke of York to wear uniform for the vigil at Westminster Hall as a ‘final mark of respect’ for his mother.
He is expected to wear the full military dress uniform of a Vice Admiral of the Navy – the only military rank that he still holds.
The decision to allow Prince Andrew to wear a military uniform, while maintain the Duke of Sussex’s ban, had led to criticism from some quarters, while the Duke of Sussex himself released a pointed statement addressing the issue, saying his decade of service was ‘not determined by the uniform he wears’.
A spokesperson for the Duke of Sussex said: ‘His decade of military service is not determined by the uniform he wears and we respectfully ask that focus remain on the.’
Today, a royal source told the Mirror: ‘Common sense has prevailed.’
‘It was a ludicrous situation given the Duke of Sussex has served his country and is a highly respected member of the armed forces with everything he has done for veterans,’ the source added.
‘It is important that the Queen’s grandchildren are all made to feel welcome and comfortable as they grieve their beloved grandmother together.’
The Queen’s other grandchildren including Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Zara and Peter Philips and Lady Louise and James, Viscount Severn are also understood to form part of the guard of honour on Saturday evening.
Read More: Harry and Andrew win battle to wear military uniforms