An e-scooter battery exploded whilst being charged, causing a huge fire in an apartment building in Laindon and has left one flat uninhabitable. Two crews from Basildon Fire Department were sent to a fire in a ground floor flat in Wayletts, Laindon, early this morning (Monday, June 20).
They were called at around 12.40am, and on entering found a serious fire in the flat’s bedroom. The e-scooter had set the bedroom’s mattress and bedding, which firefighters believe caused the fire to spread very rapidly.
Pictures from the scene show the charred remains of the bed, mattress and bedding, as well as the smoke covered walls of the room. The rest of the flat was so smoke-logged it has become uninhabitable.