The US Air Force’s inspector general investigated the August 29 drone strike and found no violations of law, but left the decision to discipline, reprimand or demote the people involved to the commanding officers. Austin agreed with the recommendations of Central Command Chief General Kenneth F. McKenzie, Jr. and Commander of U.S. Special Operations Richard D. Clarke that no punishment was necessary, the New York Times reported on Monday.
Lieutenant General Sami Dia Said, who led the Air Force’s IG probe, told reporters at the Pentagon last month that just because he didn’t call anyone out over the botched strike, it didn’t mean the command would not.
“They can de-credential folks. They can retrain folks. They can fire folks. They can do a variety of different things,” Said said.
Initial report by the Times quoted a senior official speaking on the condition of anonymity. Pentagon spokesman John Kirby later confirmed that McKenzie and Clarke had not made any recommendations regarding accountability, only about improving
Read More: Drone strike that killed children to go unpunished – Pentagon