A 4-year-old girl was accidentally injected with a dose of the Covid-19 vaccine instead of a flu jab.
On September 18th, Victoria and Martin Olivier made a deal with their 4-year-old daughter, Colette: She can have some sweets if she maintains good behaviour during the family’s pharmacy visit for seasonal flu shots. The family visited a branch of Walgreens where Colette volunteered to get the jab first.
However, instead of administering the flu shot, the pharmacist accidentally gave the 4-year-old a dose of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine, which has not been authorised for children younger than 12.
Last week, Pfizer announced that it would seek clearance from federal regulators in the coming weeks for elementary school-aged children, 5 to 11 years old, to receive the shots – but only for a regimen of about a third of the dosage given to adults and kids ages 12 and older.
Colette’s mother said that the pharmacist’s admission of error was a “record-scratch” moment, as she feared what the implications of her daughter having the jab could be. She wondered whether Colette would need to go to the hospital and if the vaccine would cause life-threatening side effects.
The Olivier family raced home and began researching resources about the vaccine on the internet. A 24/7 nurse’s hotline and Poison Control yielded few answers. As a last resort, Victoria turned to a robust network of social media friends for help.
Colette proudly announced: “I got the first Covid shot,” as she swung on a neighbourhood playground swing in Remington. All that was left of the injection is a plaster, which the young girl is too afraid to rip off.
Throughout the pandemic, the Olivier parents have communicated (or “fear mongered”) the dangers of the “pandemic” to their daughters. When Colette was able to return to school once they opened up again, her mother said that she often drew pictures of people wearing masks.