Almost every day brings more bad news on the cancer patient backlog in the NHS, caused in large part by the “stay at home, protect the NHS” drive. New research suggests that the waiting list could take more than a decade to clear, and backs up a study released earlier this week showing that thousands more will die along the way because of delayed treatment. The Telegraph has the story.
The analysis of NHS statistics by the Institute of Public Policy Research (IPPR) estimates that around 20,000 cancer diagnoses have been missed during the pandemic.
Waiting lists have reached a record high of 5.5 million, with fears they could reach 13 million, as patients come forward after struggling to access services, or from fear of being a burden on the NHS during the pandemic.
It comes amid growing concern about access to face-to-face appointments with GPs.
The Prime Minister said on Wednesday that patients were entitled to see their doctor in person, raising concerns that without the option, deadly symptoms could be missed.
Before the pandemic, around 80% of consultations took place in a doctor’s surgery – but in July the figure was just 57%.
The new study by the IPPR and CF, a data analytics consultancy, says it could take until 2033 to clear the backlog – and come too late for many of those whose diagnosis was missed or delayed.
Even this timetable would require a 5% increase in cancer care activity levels above pre-pandemic levels, it says.
However, boosting this to 15%, with a major expansion in diagnostics and staffing, could clear the backlog by next year, the analysis suggests. …
The research shows that in the year following the first lockdown, 369,000 fewer people than expected were referred to a specialist with suspected cancer. …
Concerns about the spread of Covid, and efforts to free hospitals for patients with the virus, resulted in a major reduction in access to diagnostic tests. …
The report said: “Behind these statistics are thousands of people for whom it will now be too late to cure their cancer.”