When it comes to getting firmer, younger looking skin thus far no one has discovered that proverbial fountain of youth. Still, that’s no reason not to have nice looking, glowing skin and there are several non-surgical options for getting the results you desire.
The first step, however, is determining whether you’re a good candidate for a non-surgical option. Skin tightening can work wonders for your face, neck and body, but only under certain conditions. There are, after all, types of skin loosening that can only be fixed with surgery. So, let’s discuss the different types of skin tightening options and how to decide if you qualify for that treatment.
Determining Candidacy for Non-surgical Skin Tightening
While most non-surgical skin tightening procedures have little to no side effects, they are still possible. They also don’t give the instantly dramatic results that surgical procedures deliver. That being said, they aren’t nearly as expensive or intensive and can deliver exceptional results with patience.
The best and most effective way to determine whether you’re a candidate is to consult with a board-certified cosmetic surgeon to see if your circumstances meet the pre-set conditions for treatment.
If you’ve decided to get treatment and are struggling to pick a specialist, it’s best to choose one who is certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgeons. These doctors receive specialized, intensive training to deal with both surgical and non-surgical treatment options to deliver the absolute best care to their patients.
Types of Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Treatment
- Ultrasound Skin Tightening-Ultrasound skin tightening uses focused ultrasound technology to induce collagen production by heating the skin at different depths. Collagen production pulls the skin tighter and helps create a firmer, smoother skin surface.
- This treatment is best for anyone who’s wanting to reduce the early signs of aging on the face and neck.
- It helps to increase the wait time before surgery is needed.
- Usually takes 30 to 90 minutes and requires no downtime.
- Side effects and discomfort are minimal, but may include redness, bruising or numbness where the treatment was delivered.
- Results are usually seen within 2-3 months and can last up to a year with a good at-home skincare routine.
- Radio Frequency Treatment-Radio Frequency Treatment or RF also uses heat to induce collagen production, but only focuses on the epidermal layers.
- If the treatment chosen has cleared FDA standards, these treatments can be used to improve the skin on your hands, face, neck and body.
- These treatments are minimally invasive, can be done in-office with minimal discomfort and require no downtime.
- While most treatments are safe for all skin types, some can be considered “subdermal” and may require one small incision to perform.
- In most cases 2 to 6 treatments will be required and results will show up gradually over several months.
- Intense Pulse Light/Radio Frequency-IPL with RF also uses heat but distributes it into much deeper levels of skin. This induces the healing process which in turn increases the production of collagen, filling in wrinkles and firming facial, neck, hand and body skin. This process allows for the specialist to target the radio frequency to specific areas that may need more heat than others, ensuring an even result of firmer, healthier, younger looking skin. The benefits of IPL with RF are the following:
- IPL treatments can be done in-office with little to no downtime.
- Most patients experience little to no discomfort during or after the procedure.
- Skin will gradually tighten over several months as the skin produces new collagen, which fills in the skin, making it firmer and healthier.
- IPL may not be a suitable treatment for dark or heavily tanned skin. To see if this treatment is right for you, you’ll need to consult a specialist.
- Also, several treatments may be required for optimal results.
Body-Contouring Without The Touch of a Scalpel
When it comes to skin tightening, body contouring isn’t a new concept. It is one, however, that most people don’t imagine being done well without surgery. There are, thankfully, ways to rid the body of loose skin and wrinkles without surgery.
Well beyond your hands, face, and neck, non-surgical intervention can help shape parts of your body that may have been stretched out due to weight gain, pregnancy or other skin loosening circumstances.
Here are some ways that non-surgical body contouring can give you the aesthetic appeal you’re looking for.
- Reduce a double chin
- Tighten loose skin on the abdomen
- Reduce stretch marks
- Reduce Belly Bulge
- Shrink Lovehandles
- Rejuvenate Vaginal Tissues
- Reduce Saddlebags
- Smooth and Firm the Thighs
- Reduce Cellulite
- Remove Unwanted Hair
Body Contouring can work wonders on the body without the need for surgery, however there are times when surgery may be the better option. Those times include:
- When you want to have one procedure to get all your results at the same time.
- You desire more intensive body sculpting.
- Your skin is profusely loose and saggy.
- You would prefer to enhance, instead of reducing the size of an area.
- Your surgeon agrees that surgery is the better option.
Whether you want a less invasive skin tightening option, an in-office visit, no downtime or slow, achievable results, using non-surgical skin tightening treatments is a proven way to reduce wrinkles, tighten skin and redefine your body without going under the knife.
With little to lose and a whole new outlook to gain, non-surgical skin tightening treatments may be the best gift you ever give yourself. As always, do your research, talk to a licensed board-certified cosmetic specialist to ensure you’re a good candidate and then schedule your first session. While the results might not be instantaneous, all good things are worth waiting for and come to those who wait, right?
So, do yourself a favor and schedule a consultation with a specialist in your area to see if non-surgical skin tightening options might be available to you and enjoy firmer, healthier, younger looking skin, all without the need for invasive, time consuming, often painful surgery.