Trucks have always been a status symbol for working-class Americans. For many people, they’re more than a vehicle for transportation; they’re an extension of their lifestyle. Of all the car types, they’re the most adaptable and can be used for both everyday running-around and heavy-duty work. Having access to upwards of 350 hp means you can meet most of your transportation needs without much hassle.
In addition, trucks can help with navigating terrain with poor topography. The increased power, huge size, and safety of a full-size truck give truckers the confidence to take on any terrain.
When purchasing a diesel truck, there are many decisions to make. One of them is whether to go for used or new trucks. Several factors affect the decision-making process for individuals, but used trucks typically take the cake, especially for those with limited resources. Here are a couple of reasons why people go for used pickup trucks:
– It’s much cheaper: While this may seem like an obvious benefit, it’s quite understated. The price difference between pre-owned and new trucks can often make a world of difference for buyers on a budget. On average, new pickups cost around $50,000 to own, but with used cars, you can get an excellent deal for below $25,000. The price range available for used trucks gives buyers a large pool of vehicles to choose from with respect to their budgets. There’s something for everyone.
– You avoid the initial depreciation: Everyone that has bought a new car knows the story. No matter how well you take care of the vehicle, when it’s time to sell, the price drop is always steep. Cars experience a massive depreciation during their first sale, primarily because of their first year. Typically, the rate of depreciation of a car slows down with age. When you buy a used truck, you avoid the first few years of depreciation and also buy the car cheaper.
– You avoid wear and tear: For most owners of new trucks, the allure is in the newness. Therefore, you’re likely to spend money maintaining the mint condition of the car. However, due to the nature of the use of pickups, they are unlikely to preserve the state of newness. Naturally, pickup trucks are performance monsters and will last for a long time, through terrible conditions. Purchasing a used truck allows you to focus more on the performance of the car than on its aesthetics.
– Access to better variety: Budgets are the most significant constraint for most people. If you’re buying new cars, there’s a minimum price limit, and there are only so many models to choose from. With pre-owned trucks, you have access to a larger range of models from different years. You can even choose to remodel an older version for your use.
When buying second-hand diesel trucks, the onus is on you to do your due diligence. Pre-owned cars can be a great score or a nightmare depending on the condition they’re in during the sale. There are three major reasons why cars are sold – the owner is in financial straits, the owner wants to change the car for something different, or the car has many issues.
Diesel truck parts can cost a lot to replace. Even when replacing, getting OEMs can be difficult unless you’re buying from recognized organizations like Goldfarb INC. We’ve put together a couple of tips to help you make the best decision when purchasing a used truck:
Do a physical inspection of the vehicle.
While this sounds like a no-brainer, it’s necessary to remind buyers. With the increase in online purchases, more and more cars are being bought without physical inspections. A 2019 study showed that one in ten car buyers bought their cars without ever seeing them.
The importance of a physical inspection can’t be overrated. Even those who bought cars without seeing them preferred cars that had undergone a pre-sale vehicle inspection. A personal inspection is even better as it helps you evaluate if the car meets your taste both internally and externally.
You should also have a mental checklist of things you should look out for in the car. Such a list should include:
– Car frame: The first thing you’ll get to observe is the car frame. Since trucks are often used for heavy-duty work, it’s very likely that the frame has taken a couple of beatings. If you care about how good your vehicle looks, you should pay attention to signs of an accident or bending due to overload. You should also watch out for overspray, a giveaway sign that the car has been involved in a collision.
– The transmission: The transmission system is the safety hub of the car, so testing it out is crucial. You can only test the transmission during a test drive. Look out for small issues like the transmission slipping into gear or unusual noises when you engage your brakes. You should also be careful of cars that have a brake controller installed. Chances are they have been used roughly in the past.
– Driveshaft and differentials: The driveshaft is one of the important places to check if you’re looking to purchase a heavy-duty truck. There are chances that it might have been compromised if it was used for heavy lifting. Full-size trucks also come with differentials that help them support a heavy load. You can check for the noise and leaks coming from the differentials by switching between gears severally. If you notice any irregularities, make sure to call a professional to carry out further investigations.
Carry out your inspection in the morning.
Diesel engines have a peculiarity you might not notice if you don’t inspect them at the right time. Since they don’t have a spark plug, they typically require only compression to start. The downside of that is that they can have some difficulty starting in cold weather or when they’re not warmed up.
Early morning inspections allow you to test the engine in the most adverse conditions where you can examine the state of its ignition. If there are problems with the glow plug circuit or fuel injection systems, you’ll be able to easily tell when you start it. If the engine has an uneven crank when it starts or an idle rough or smokes, you should be wary of buying it. Those signs can be indicative of some major fault that would cost a lot. If there are no issues, you can proceed to do a test drive.
Ask for a history report.
An eye test can only see so much. Sellers of used cars know that the aesthetics of the vehicle can be misleading, so they put a lot of effort into making the exterior look great. One of the ways to avoid being tricked into buying a failing car is to request for a car history report.
A car history report details the important data during the lifespan of the car. Such data can be instrumental when assessing the viability of a vehicle. A lot of dealers will be hesitant to provide the information, but you have to insist on it. In fact, it should be one of the first things to ask for.
Information contained in the report should include the following:
– Car registration
– Odometer readings
– Lemon history
– Stolen and recovery information
– Accident indicators
– Type of vehicle usage
– Total loss information
– Service and repair information
Order a professional inspection.
Regardless of how detailed you are in your inspection, you’re bound to miss a couple of things. Unless, of course, if you’re an automobile mechanic. If you’re not, the final and most important thing for you to do is get a professional to carry out a pre-purchase inspection.
A professional inspection will cost you some money, so you should only schedule it after you’ve been convinced with your own inspection. It can easily be arranged by contacting a specialized diesel shop close to the location of the truck. Most repair shops and dealerships also offer pre-purchase inspections for a small fee.
The technician should be able to easily spot issues you’ve missed. They will also carry out tests on specific components of the car’s operating systems. The test shouldn’t take too long to complete; in a few hours, you should know if the car is worth buying.
Most people that own a truck require it for work. As such, when making a purchase, you have to make sure it meets your needs. Top of those needs should be its functionality. Even when that has been ascertained, it’s essential to obtain a warranty from the seller. That way, you have some assurance that your purchase is protected.