Posted by Richard Willet Posted on 2 August 2020

Melbourne to face still tighter ‘virus’ restrictions as state of disaster is declared (Someone must have noticed the quality of their government which is indeed a disaster)

A state of disaster has been declared in the Australian state of Victoria after a rise in coronavirus cases.

Sweeping new restrictions will come into force in the city of Melbourne from Sunday night including:

  • An evening curfew implemented from 8pm to 5am
  • Those living in the city only allowed to shop and exercise within 3 miles (5km) of their homes
  • Exercise to be limited to one hour per day
  • Only one person per household allow to shop
  • Gatherings of no more than two people
  • All students across the state returning to home-based learning
  • Childcare centres to close

State premier Daniel Andrews said the state of disaster proclamation gave police greater powers.

Mr Andrews said 671 new coronavirus cases had been detected since Saturday, as well as seven deaths. Less severe restrictions will be reimposed across the rest of the state of Victoria from Wednesday but will include the closing of schools and childcare settings.

Melbourne may be placed under a six-week period of more stringent constraints, including the almost complete shutdown of its public transport network, starting from Wednesday, according to The Sunday Age.

Read More: Melbourne to face tighter restrictions as state of disaster is declared

The Trigger

From our advertisers