Guide on How to Work From Home
Many people prefer to work from home because this becomes very popular. With modern technologies, it’s easy to communicate with people all over the world, so your current location isn’t very important. Lately, many people prefer to work from home instead of sitting in the office every day. Work from home gives you a lot of great benefits such as:
- The flexible schedule they are free to select for their needs.
- Saving time for getting to/from the office.
- A great variant for retired people or young moms who still want to work just a few hours per day.
- No need for an employer to rent an office for people – every coworker can easily work from home and solve all the questions online without stress.
- It’s possible to do housework and care for children without paying childcare or hiring someone to cook and clean the house.
The Main Types of Remote Jobs
There are two different types of remote job you can do:
- Telecommuting when an employer allows people to do their job remotely partly – for example, one day per week, or several days, or every day. Employees can choose how they want to organize their schedules. Of course, not every type of job allows telecommuting. Plus, without contact between all the workers, people can decrease their productivity. But this situation can be easily improved with new technologies – many companies use Skype, Facetime, or other messengers to make video calls. It gives people a sense they are in one room.
- Self-employed workers. These are freelancers who run their own business or work for an employer abroad. This kind of job includes service business like travel consulting, writing agencies, like WriteMyPaper4Me. Sometimes self-employed people can rent a space to do the job from the office. Many independent workers can use these “shared workspaces” to get a desk for an hour, day, week, month, or other terms they need.
Important Tips for Freelancers
To be a freelancer isn’t difficult but it’s quite different from working in the office. Follow these useful tips to improve your productivity and avoid stress:
- Always track your expenses and activities. We suggest keeping proper records of your projects. This will help you to understand how much time you spend on a certain piece of job, and how much money you have earned for a particular time. Do not forget to track your business expenses: these may be parking fees, public transport, lunch with customers, fees for events, some equipment for your business, and other expenses connected with your job. Many freelancers prefer having a bank account and a card they use only to pay business expenses. In this case, it’s easy to count how much money you have spent.
- Track your revenue. Most freelancers have to pay 100% of their taxes. Needless to say, nobody does tax withholding when employers pay for the job to freelance workers. So, you’re responsible for your own taxes and the employer’s taxes when you are self-employed.
- You may need a license to do a certain job. It depends on your location and you should get the license if it’s required. You can find all the needed requirements for your location online.
- When you just start your freelance business, it will be useful to look for potential clients online. It’s possible to find many customers on LinkedIn. Connect with others and describe your business in the Linkedin profile.
- Be well-organized. For many freelancers, it’s difficult to make a schedule for their day because nobody controls them except for themselves. You need to be well-disciplined and well-organized to meet all the important deadlines and fulfill everything on time.
- Be an expert in what you are doing. Become an expert in your space and share your knowledge with people. This is a great way to find many new clients for your business. Start your blog (but always check for grammar before publishing anything), don’t forget about speaking on events, describe your business in the social media profiles.
- Feel free to use technologies and tools for freelancers. New tools will help you to organize your process better and forget about many things you have to keep in your head constantly. Simplify your life with applications like Project Bubble, FreshBooks, LiquidPlanner, EssayToolBox, etc.
Start your freelance career without nerves and build a successful business easily with our tips. It’s easy to work from home when you know the main things from this useful guide. We wish you good luck in planning and organizing all the steps of your future freelance business!