You studied at one of the leading universities in the country, worked for large companies in the decision-making positions, have excellent recommendations and speak English fluently… At the same time, you do not apply for a top position for some reason and you are searching for a job as an ordinary specialist. It would seem that you are an ideal candidate and it would be easy for you to find any job. But you get one refusal after another from recruiters. Why is it so?
Apparently, you are overqualified from the recruiters’ point of view and this seems strange for many of them. So, how to find a job, being an overqualified candidate? Not to turn your advantages into disadvantages, follow the tips offered by uk.jobsora.com. This popular work finding site will help you to get the job of your dream.
Tips which will help you to get a position if you are an overqualified candidate
Here are some tips to help you to deal with this situation:
- Be honest with yourself. Are you really overqualified? If the answer is yes, then think about what exactly you want to get from this work. Most likely, you have a few reasons why this vacancy is interesting for you. This should be indicated in the cover letter to message it to your possible employer.
Cases of presumable causes may be:
— your relocation
— the desire to achieve a balance between work and personal life;
— the aspiration to change a sphere or profession;
— a possibility to work remotely.
These are only some of the possible causes — think about your desires and opportunities before going forward.
- Adapt your curriculum vitae and cover letter for each position. Applicants often exaggerate their achievements in their CVs. And it’s ok, but it’s important to consider other tactics. Instead of focusing on qualification and career achievements, concentrate on the specific skills that are required for a vacancy.
- Show interest. From a recruiter’s viewpoint, there are many causes why an applicant who is being extra qualified may not be suitable. For example, you may want to get this position just because there are no other options at the moment. That is, there is a possibility that after hiring you will immediately start looking for another job which is more appropriate to your professional level.
In order not to make such an impression, it’s necessary to show a sincere interest in the vacancy.
- Do not focus on wage. Your expectations may be unrealistic or the company owner is not ready to pay a lot at the moment. And he or she will prefer to hire a less experienced specialist. Show the employment agent your malleability when it comes to money and explain to him or her that you agree to a market-determined wage.
- Think about the post that corresponds to your experience. If you have tried all of the above or you are being constantly told that you are overqualified for this post, perhaps you need to think about a more qualified position?
In the process of analyzing your current situation, finding a suitable vacancy and writing a cover letter, you will be able to determine the ratio of your desires and the real situation accurately. A thorough analysis will allow you to find a position that will better correspond to your skills.
— Don’t be afraid to show that you are a highly qualified employee; be confident, prove to the employer that you are the right person for this post.
— Never attribute your interest in this vacancy from a financial perspective; first, try to understand your official duties.
— If you are asked about your being overqualified for this job and why you need it, do not panic. Just say that you have decided to obtain a position that will allow you to work on your strengths and move forward.
— Finally, despite the circumstances, don’t underestimate or overestimate yourself.
Finding a job for an overqualified specialist can often turn to be as stressful as for an inexperienced graduate. When you are trying to get a position which doesn’t correspond to your skills, try to explain to the employer why you will be the impeccable candidate for him or her. Nevertheless, do not lose hope and you will definitely find the job of your dream!