CBD oil for pain relief has been used for several thousand years. Doctors consider it as an effective analgesic- a medicine designed to relieve pain. It’s a safe and natural alternative to other analgesics and has been gaining popularity worldwide. Unlike other painkillers which are addictive, CBD is a non-addictive and has no psychoactive properties.
Ailments such as diabetes, arthritis, epilepsy, PTSD, inflammation, seizures, and many others can be treated by using CBD oil. CBD is a compound of cannabis which influences the human body to use the natural endocannabinoid system efficiently.
Renowned for its numerous health benefits, CBD (Cannabidiol) is a compound of cannabis that does not contain any Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). As THC is psychoactive cannabinoid responsible for creating a sensation of being “high”, CBD oil activates the receptors in the human body without causing the person to become high. CBD is available in the market in the form of lotions, serums, tablets, capsules, oil, gummies, edibles, and as balms.
Let us look at some of the applications where CBD oil for pain can be used.
- Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple Sclerosis is a chronic ailment that affects the central nervous system which consists of the brain, optic nerves, and the spinal cord. The central nervous system plays a vital role in the human body as it controls functions like breathing, heart rate, movements, emotions, hormone release, and many others.
Multiple Sclerosis affects the central nervous system; it negatively affects the way in which a human body interacts with its environment to a great extent. It’s an autoimmune disease just like psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis. Under normal conditions, inflammation is used by the immune system to protect the human body against any foreign organisms. But in a body affected by Multiple Sclerosis, the immune system uses this inflammation to attack a part of the body by mistaking it as a foreign substance. It destroys the protective fatty substance Myelin which surrounds the nerve fibers or Neurons and completely damages the underlying nerves.
Some of the causes of Multiple Sclerosis are-
- Smoking- People who have the habit of smoking are more likely to develop Multiple Sclerosis when compared to non-smokers.
- Genetically inherited- People who are related to someone who is suffering from Multiple Sclerosis are more likely to get affected by the disease.
- Teenage obesity- People who suffered/suffering from obesity during their teenage years are more likely to develop the disease.
- Viral infections- Viral infections may also cause people to develop Multiple Sclerosis.
- Autoimmune disease- People suffering from an autoimmune disease like Type 1 Diabetes are more likely to develop Multiple Sclerosis when compared to others.
- Lack of Vitamin D- People who live/grow up in mild climatic areas which are subjected to low sunlight and thus low Vitamin D levels are more likely to get affected by Multiple Sclerosis.
Some of the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis are-
· Numbness and Tingling.
· Issues with vision such as blurring and double vision.
· Memory problems.
· Issues with information processing and thinking.
· Loss of bladder control or bowel.
· Issues with body balance and coordination.
· Seizures and tremors.
CBD oil for pain reduces the several spasms caused by Multiple Sclerosis and relaxes the muscles, hence providing pain relief for patients suffering from the ailment.
Associated with severe and widespread pain and tenderness in the bones and muscles, Fibromyalgia is a common chronic disorder. This disease causes the people suffering from it to have a heightened sense of pain.
Studies have shown that the following are the causes of Fibromyalgia
- Women are more commonly diagnosed by this event when compared to men.
- Smokers are more likely to get affected by this when compared to non-smokers.
- Patients who suffer from disorders like depression or anxiety are more likely to develop the ailment.
- People suffering from obesity have a higher risk of developing this disease when compared to others.
- People who are related to patients suffering from Fibromyalgia are likely to develop the same as Fibromyalgia seems to be genetically passed on.
- People suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) may develop Fibromyalgia.
- Fibromyalgia is also common among people who don’t indulge in a physical exercise of any form.
Some of the symptoms of this ailment are-
- Sleep issues such as insomnia are common among patients of Fibromyalgia.
- Psychological disorders like depression, anxiety, and lack of interest in people diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.
- Tingling and numbness in the hands, arms, and legs which acts as an obstacle for any sort of movement.
- Experiencing fatigue even after performing a small physical activity.
- Constant throbbing pain in the ligaments and muscles around the joints throughout the body.
- Issues with cognitive functionalities are also one of the symptoms. Here, the patient loses the ability to focus on the tasks at hand and loses concentration, a symptom commonly known as “fibro fog.”
Scientific research has shown that CBD oil has the ability to alleviate pain and the stiffness in the muscles and joints. It also treats headaches and helps patients get a night of sound sleep and also leads to a fatigue-free life.
CBD oil plays a major role in coping with pain associated with many complex ailments and is a part of the medicinal procedure for patients who struggle to lead a quality life. We hope that this article helped you understand the role of CBD oil for pain relief. Thanks for reading!